Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reaping the Bounty...

Okay, it's been a very small bounty, but I'm thrilled that I grew more than my usual basil and parsley.  So far, I've been mostly successful with the arugula and microgreens.  But I noticed yesterday that the arugula was looking a little...well...sparse.  It seems I'm not the only one around who is digging it.  I found a little colony of caterpillars who have taken up residence and munched away.  Looks like I now have another project---reading up on organic/pesticide free methods of keeping critters away!

Left with little more than empty stems, I re-potted with fennel seeds.  Let's see if I can grow those in a pot.  I'm on the verge of spending time perusing online seed catalogs.  I'm thinking of what will be grown next.  This is something I've really missed.  In my old digs, I had a balcony that I lovingly called 'the Jungle' because I had so many plants growing.  It was a little piece of heaven sitting out there with my bougainvillea, spider plants, basil, hibiscus, geraniums, and palm trees.  What I wouldn't do for my own backyard!

The caterpillars may have gotten the best of me and my arugula, but I was able to gather some microgreens this morning.  (You know I'll be keeping my eye on those plants now!)  I grilled a chicken breast this afternoon, made a bright parsley pesto with feta, almonds, Parmesan and a little lemon zest and threw it together with red bell pepper and green onions to make a quick chicken salad.  Stuffed into a pita and topped with those microgreens...I am happy with my bounty.

Before the caterpillar colony invaded

No comments:

Post a Comment