Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

What's Going On?

I am a creature of habit.  I love making lists. It's comforting...some may say I have control issues.  ;)  It's how I convince myself that I'm organised.  Well...not totally disorganised.  I went grocery shopping today--with my list.  Separated by store, with their respective bargains, the top right corner of every grocery list with what I must buy.  After my first stop, my list disappeared.  I don't know what happened to it.  It wasn't in my wallet.  It wasn't in my handbag or in one of the grocery bags.  DAMN!  I was feeling a little lost at my second stop, trying to remember what I had written down.  But I'm happy to report, I survived.  I may have veered off course a wee bit--a wedge of Black River Gorgonzola and a pound package of lady fingers--but I'm okay.  Look Ma, I don't need a list in my hand (pocket, handbag, glove box) all the time.

The kitchen has been its usual busy self.  My mind is beginning to race with what to bake and make for the holidays (both eating and giving).  I made mini cinnamon scones and cream cheese cookies (aka 'crack cookies') for a work meeting, and I baked a second round of Oreos today.  One of the problems I have (if you want to call it that), is once I make something, and it's really good, I'll make it again...and again...and again.  Case in point...applesauce.  My first go-round was Asian pear sauce; since then I've made apple-pear sauce, persimmon-peach sauce and plain old applesauce.   The same has happened this week with chicken.  I cooked four large breasts the other night because I had an idea to make a variation on golumpki.  It involved steamed cabbage leaves, shredded chicken, sauted carrots and onions, and basmati rice with lots of curry powder and sesame oil.  The results were good...the execution needs improvement.  So now I have a lot of leftover chicken.  It's been 3 days of chicken salad (again...and again...and again), but let me tell you...the cats are thrilled.  It's not every week where they get a daily dose of chicken.  They can smell it a mile away and are all sitting pretty while I get their bits ready.

Here are some photos from the last week.  It may be a bit of the same old, same old....but it's still delicious.

Mini Cinnamon Scones

What can I say?  The price was right!  Now I have to decide to what do with them.

Jill's Fabulous Onion Tart

Oreos Round 2:  Softer Cookies, Better Filling

Persimmon-Peach Quick Bread

Persimmon-Peach Sauce, aka The Obsession

Chicken Stuffed Cabbage...Thai Golumpki?

A song to start the week....just as relevant today as it was in 1971...





3 comments:

  1. Those scones look really good as does the tart!
    Oh, and I always make lists too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a new list when I woke up this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm promoting my blog, pass to visit me?
    Nice day!

    ReplyDelete