Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Craving Barbecue

Sweet, tangy, mouth-watering barbecue that's been cooking for hours, so tender it pulls apart with no effort.  This is why having a crockpot works wonders for fulfilling that craving.  All it took was two thick center-cut pork chops, a slow cooker, and a little time.  I don't use my crockpot enough.  In fact, since I found my little Goodwill treasure about a year ago, this was only the second or third time I've used it.   I need to change that.

I also took a little inspiration from L.A.'s food trucks on how to serve my barbecue.  There would be no rolls, but that bag of masa in the Italian Pantry would come in handy.  What's better than homemade corn tortillas?  So easy...masa, water, and a touch of salt.  I'm still working on making them thinner, but they tasted great.  Tortillas were the way to go.

It doesn't get much easier than this.

Barbecue Pork
(serves 2)


2 thick center-cut pork chops
1 medium onion, sliced thin
3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 cups ginger ale
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
3 tablespoons honey


Put the pork, onion, garlic, and ginger ale in the crockpot, turn on high for 2-3 hours.  I cut the meat into strips before cooking.  When the pork is cooked, gently pull apart, then add the barbecue sauce and honey.  Cook on high for another 30-40 minutes so all the flavours mingle.  


Serve on corn tortillas, topped with green onions and cilantro. 






1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmm, masa. I will need to look into this! and why have I never used pork chops for bbq, I'll never know!

    ReplyDelete