Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fall With a Twist

You know it's Fall in Los Angeles when the temperature hits about...70...and stays there for a day or two until it leaps back up to the 90's (like today, almost 2 p.m. and 93 degrees).  I took advantage of the cooler weather the other day and made Asian pear sauce.  Like applesauce, but not.

I'm currently loving The Kitchn site and get regular email updates.  While reading my email the other morning, there was a  post about making applesauce.  I still hadn't had breakfast, couldn't put my finger on what I wanted to eat, but after reading the daily post, thought about the 2 close-to-overripe Asian pears in my fruit bowl.  Sure, I could make applesauce too since I bought a few at the market, but I have those earmarked for Jewish Apple Cake this weekend.

It really was quick to come together.  Warm, delicous, reeking of Autumn and a nip in the air...only with a twist of bright sunshine and palm trees outside the window.

Asian Pear Sauce
(Adapted from a recipe on The Kitchn)


Makes about 1/2 cup


2 medium-sized Asian pears, peeled and cubed
3/4 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon orange zest
1 slice fresh ginger, about 1-inch diameter


Combine all ingredients in small sauce pan.  On medium heat bring to high simmer, then lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Don't let the liquid evaporate completely, add a little more water if needed.  After cooking, remove cinnamon stick and ginger.  Puree in blender, processor, or with immersion blender.  Or do it the old fashioned way and mash it with a fork. 

Sprinkle with more cinnamon (I can never get enough) and/or nutmeg.  Spoon it over oatmeal or just spoon it into your mouth.  Especially yummy with butter-slathered toast.



1 comment: