Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Fennel, Onion and Basil...oh my!

...I am feeling decidedly domestic tonight...it's been a very home-oriented day...I did some serious cleaning...a little organising...put up the Christmas tree and a couple of decorations...ran a couple of errands...and made dinner with a latte for dessert...

...I was texting with a friend today, talking about Italy and decided to make pasta for dinner...I remembered that I had a bulb of fennel in the fridge that needed to be used, so I grated it...sauted it in olive oil with some red onion, threw in a tablespoon of butter for good measure...like bacon, you can't go wrong with butter...usually I roast fennel...the saute was a change and I really loved it...it reminded me of celeriac...the taste was milder than when it's roasted, red onion adding even more sweetness then a dose of brightness with basil...rotini was the shape of choice tonight and tossed it all up with olive oil and Grana Padano...

...on the stovetop right now is a big simmering pot of turkey stock...smells amazing...tweaked with a bouquet garni of rosemary and lavender...yes, lavender...I'm not sure what will be made with the stock yet...but it's a good thing to have on hand...




...the more I think about it...the more I believe today was one of those days where I needed to take care of myself...it was a success...

No comments:

Post a Comment