Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

GQ has recipes...?!?!?!?

Imagine my surprise while looking through the December issue of GQ and coming across a recipe...I know, I know...that sounds truly sexist...as though men don't cook...but colour me a little shocked...I know it's the 21st century...I watch 'Top Chef' and follow the food world...I know men cook...I just didn't expect to find a recipe there amongst the pages...

So you're asking, 'what was the recipe?'...I'll tell you...The German Pancake....or as the author coined it, 'The High Rise'...I originally came across a recipe for it a couple of years ago in Cooking Light and never made it...I don't know why, because it was a huge mistake not to.  I made it this past Sunday and let me tell you...this is amazing...I had eaten something the size of a dinner plate in about 10 minutes....this may be an exaggeration, because it may have been (much) less...damn! Buttery, a little sweet, a little tart, gorgeous and absolutely delicious!

Supposedly, the traditional way to serve it is with a squeeze of lemon and confectioner's sugar....who am I to mess with tradition???...that's how I had it and I'm not a huge fan of confectioner's sugar, so I was a little light with the sugar and a little heavier with the lemon.  As of this date, GQ still doesn't have the recipe posted on it's site, but I found it on another blogger's site...thank you, Glenn Fox!

The German Pancake

3 tablespoons butter
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch of nutmeg
touch of vanilla extract (if you like, I did!)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Put butter in an oven-proof pan or dish.  I used a pie plate.  Put pie plate in oven to melt butter.  Whisk together remaining ingredients.  When butter is melted, take pan out of oven, add the pancake mix and return to oven.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until pancake puffs and edges are lightly golden brown. The pancake will rise up the sides of the pan.  Like a souffle, but it won't collapse! Remove from oven and squeeze with lemon juice and dust with confectioner's sugar.

Glenn used maple syrup, the Cooking Light recipe layered thinly sliced apples and baked it.  In my opinion, you could add whatever you want to serve it.  But try it with the lemon juice and sugar.  The only thing I may adjust in the future is lessening the butter.  Blasphemy, maybe...but I think it would be just as decadent with 2 tablespoons of butter.

Out. Of. This. World.

No comments:

Post a Comment