Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Sending the year out...

...with my own little culinary bang...I know I gave up on the holiday gluttony earlier this week, but since I was off today...and we all know I like to spend my days off in the kitchen, I decided today would not be any different...

...I even managed to make it to the gym 4 days this week...back on schedule, just as I wanted to do...I've got muscles aching here and there, but it's good...it's all good...

...for anyone interested...I'm not making any resolutions for the year..yes, I've got goals I want to meet...2011 is going to be a better year, because I'm going to make it that way...time will be spent doing some serious research on the food business (particularly in Los Angeles/CA)...I still don't know if I want to enter the fray...I know I want to find something more soul- and life- satisfying than the retail track I'm in now...if you follow this little blog of  mine...you'll be able to see what progress I make...and you're always welcome to comment and tell me to get my ass in gear or make suggestions...I'll listen!

...breakfast/lunch/brunch was the German pancake...this time around it ran up the sides of the pie  plate by a good 2-3 inches!...it was quite the sight...I called it the Mile High Pancake today...just wish the photo could justify the height...because it doesn't...I bought blueberries and blackberries yesterday and made a sauce/syrup to accompany it...(all this decided while I was working out!)

...I've been planning on lasagna since last week when it was going to be Christmas dinner until I had other plans...the cheese mixture was a small container [15oz] of ricotta, about 1/3 cup of grated carrots, maybe 1/2 cup of chopped spinach, 4 oz of shredded mozzarella, crumbled feta [maybe 2 oz], a little salt, a little pepper, a little crushed garlic, and held together with a scant pour of fat-free half and half (I don't use egg like a lot of people do).

...I opened a bottle of bubbly around 3pm today and still managed to dye my hair, make pita chips, and do laundry.  The big question to answer was:  Champagne, cava or prosecco? ...yes, I had all three and upon looking in my liquor cabinet, I seriously need to do some re-stocking this year...I decided upon the prosecco and I just might have the bottle finished off by the end of this evening...

...okay...ending the year on a good note...photos of food and the 'recipe' for the syrup I made...

Black and Blueberry Syrup

4 oz container of blueberries
4 oz container of blackberries
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon orange zest

In a saucepan combine all ingredients over medium heat until it comes to near boil, lower heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.

Just that easy...like ringing in the new year with a glass of prosecco and chocolate truffles...

Cheers and Happy New Year...here's to a fruitful 2011 to all of us...



No comments:

Post a Comment